As Maspeth is still dealing with issues from the Calamus Avenue sewer project, the NYC Department of Design and Construction (DDC) will be returning to the neighborhood to talk about their next project: the 70th Street sewer project.
The community is invited to a town hall meeting to discuss the upcoming 70th Avenue sewer project on Monday, Nov. 13, from 7 to 9 p.m. at I.S. 73, located at 70-02 54th Ave., to learn more about this sewer and water main project.
Residents are encouraged to come out to the meeting to ask their questions to DDC representatives directly.
According to Gary Giordano, district manager of Community Board 5 (CB5), the project — listed at SE859, and capital projects SE-002Q and WM-1 — will happen “just south of where the Calamus Avenue sewer project is taking place.”
Giordano explained, according to the plans sent to CB 5, the scope of the project includes the installation of the following new sewers and distribution water mains:
- Combined sewers and distribution water mains on 70th Street between 54th Avenue and Calamus Avenue;
- Combined sewers on 54th Avenue between 70th Street and 71st Street;
- Combined sewers and distribution water mains on 71st Street between Grand Avenue and 54th Avenue;
- Combined sewers on Grand Avenue between Mazeau Street and 71st Street;
- Combined sewers and distribution water mains on Mazeau Street between Grand Avenue and the Queens Midtown Expressway;
- Distribution water mains on 53rd Road between 69th Street and the Dead End;
- Distribution water mains on 53rd Drive between 69th Street and 71st Street; and
- Distribution water mains on Grand Avenue between 71st Street and 72nd Place.
QNS has reached out to DDC for comment on the meeting and more information about the project and is awaiting reply.
Anyone interested in attending the meeting should RSVP with Councilwoman Elizabeth Crowley’s office at 718-366-3900 or ecrowley[@]council.nyc.gov.
The meeting is being sponsored by Crowley, state Senator Joseph Addabbo, Assemblyman Brian Barnwell and Communities of Maspeth & Elmhurst Together (COMET).