The city’s Department of Transportation (DOT) plans to repave more than a dozen Ridgewood streets as well as a portion of Central Avenue in Glendale starting next month, according to a tentative street resurfacing list provided to Community Board 5 that QNS obtained.
In all, 31 streets within the confines of Board 5 (Ridgewood, Glendale, Maspeth and Middle Village) are slated to be resurfaced beginning in September and continuing through November. According to District Manager Gary Giordano, street milling — the removal of the top asphalt layer from the roadbed — could start within three to four weeks.
Soon after street milling is completed, crews will place a fresh layer of blacktop on the street. During the milling and paving processes, each roadway will be closed to vehicular traffic. Parking is also prohibited; signs will be posted days in advance of the scheduled work. Any vehicles found parked on streets during work hours will be towed away.
The tentative list includes Ridgewood streets located south of Myrtle Avenue and north of the Brooklyn/Queens border (Wyckoff/Irving Avenues), a largely industrial area that’s been slowly evolving into a residential and artistic community. Also on the list is a portion of Central Avenue in Glendale between 69th Place and Cypress Hills Street, a road often used by drivers as an alternative to Myrtle Avenue.
The streets on the tentative list, as broken down by neighborhood, are as follows:
- Centre Street between Cypress and Myrtle Avenues;
- Cornelia Street between Cypress and Wyckoff Avenues;
- Decatur Street between Forest and Wyckoff Avenues;
- Forest Avenue between Decatur Street and Myrtle Avenue/George Street;
- George Street between Forest/Myrtle and Wyckoff Avenues;
- Hancock Street between Seneca/Myrtle and Cypress Avenues;
- Jefferson Avenue between Cypress and Wyckoff Avenues;
- Norman Street between Myrtle and Wyckoff Avenues;
- Palmetto Street between Myrtle and St. Nicholas Avenues;
- Putnam Avenue between Myrtle and Wyckoff Avenues;
- Seneca Avenue between Myrtle Avenue and George Street;
- Stephen Street between Forest and Myrtle Avenues;
- Summerfield Street between Myrtle and Wyckoff Avenues; and
- Weirfield Street between Cypress and Myrtle Avenues.
- 57th Street between Clover Place and Cabot Road;
- 65th Street between Otto Road and Central Avenue;
- 73rd Place between Edsall and Myrtle Avenues;
- Cabot Road between Cypress Avenue and 57th Street;
- Clover Place between Cypress Avenue and the dead end;
- Central Avenue between 69th Place and Cypress Hills Street; and
- Vermont Place between Cypress Avenue and Highland Boulevard.
- 54th Street between Arnold/Metropolitan Avenues and Flushing Avenue;
- 60th Place between 60th Drive and the dead end;
- 61st Street between 55th Drive and Fresh Pond Road;
- 69th Lane between 60th Avenue and Queens Midtown Expressway;
- 69th Street between Queens Midtown Expressway and Eliot Avenue; and
- Brown Place between Queens Midtown Expressway and Caldwell Avenue.
- 65th Lane between Admiral and Metropolitan Avenues;
- 85th Street between 58th Avenue and 60th Road;
- 86th Street between 58th and 60th Avenues; and
- Queens Midtown Expressway between 85th and 86th Streets.
The tentative list is subject to change; all scheduled work, when posted, is weather permitting. For more information, call 311.