Queens’ busiest interchange will undergo construction this winter on five ramps.
The state Department of Transportation announced that beginning next week, ramps will be alternately closed at the Kew Gardens Interchange in Queens. The repairs will help facilitate removal of the old southbound Van Wyck Expressway viaduct, as part of a $110 million Phase III construction project of the interchange.
Weather permitting, repairs will begin on or about the night of Dec. 26 and will continue through February 2019. Repairs that take place Mondays through Thursdays will begin at 10 p.m. and end at 5 a.m., and weekend repairs will go from 11 p.m. to 8 a.m.
Drivers can expect closures on any of the following ramps during construction:
- Ramp from westbound Grand Central Parkway (Exit 13W) to westbound Jackie Robinson Parkway
- Ramp from eastbound Jackie Robinson Parkway (Exit 8W) to westbound Grand Central Parkway
- Ramp from southbound Van Wyck Expressway (Exit 7) to westbound Jackie Robinson Parkway
- Ramp from eastbound Jackie Robinson Parkway (Exit 7) to northbound Van Wyck Expressway
- Entrance Ramp from westbound Union Turnpike to westbound Grand Central Parkway
Drivers can follow detour signs while the ramps are under construction.
For real-time travel information, motorists should check New York State’s official traffic and travel information source, 511NY, before traveling. Call 511, visit www.511NY.org or download the free 511NY mobile app on iTunes or Google Play.