Caton Ave. man charged with attempted murder after shooting – QNS.com

Caton Ave. man charged with attempted murder after shooting

By Tom Tracy

A 22-year-old Caton Avenue man was flushed out of his own apartment building Thursday following a shooting that left a young man in critical condition. Police charge that Ako Bowen of the 2000 block of Caton Avenue opened fire on a group of males he was arguing with just down the block from his home at the corner of East 21st Street. He ran back to his apartment as cops scrambled to the scene and was caught trying to escape out the back of his building, officials said. Bowen has been charged with attempted murder, assault, menacing, harassment and criminal possession of a weapon. Indictment proceedings were beginning as this paper went to press. Witnesses to the gunplay told authorities that the victims were walking past Bowen’s building after visiting a corner candy store just before noon on February 8 when they began yelling at the 22-year-old, who they spotted standing by his window. Friends of the victims told investigators that they knew Bowen “from the neighborhood” and had an ongoing problem with him, officials said. Cops were told that Bowen, donning a black jacket and a “Sean John” sweatshirt, Sean “P. Diddy” Combs’ clothing line, allegedly came out of his home and had words with the victim. Moments later, he pulled out a gun and started blasting away, witnesses alleged. Officials said that one of the men Bowen allegedly confronted was hit in the chest, abdomen and back. He was rushed to Kings County Hospital where he was listed in critical but stable condition as this paper went to press. The sound of the gunshots sent everyone scattering. It also alerted a cop walking the beat nearby, who rushed to the scene. Witnesses told the responding officers that Bowen had run toward a group of buildings. Cops surrounded the building and were in the process of doing a floor to floor search when members of the Anti-Crime team watching the rear of the building saw Bowen trying to flee. Bowen was taken into custody without incident.

More from Around New York