Strawberry Festival at Onderdonk House – QNS.com

Strawberry Festival at Onderdonk House

Enjoy A Sweet Day At R’wood Landmark

Families are invited to spend a fun-filled afternoon at the Onderdonk House next Sunday, June 10, for the Greater Ridgewood Historical Society’s (GRHS) annual Strawberry Festival.

As announced, the festivities will take place from noon to 4 p.m. on June 10 at the landmark Onderdonk House, located at 1820 Flushing Ave.

To celebrate the start of summer, guests will have the chance to enjoy crafts and games for children, a pie eating contest, music, a magic show by Nolick the Wizard and sample of the what is considered to be the best strawberry shortcake in the city.

The society will also be providing tours of the Onderdonk House, a city landmark listed on the National and State Registers of Historic Places built by Dutch settlers in 1709. It remained a farmstead through the 1920s and was incorporated into a commercial business.

The house remained used for commercial purposes through the 1970s, when the GRHS was founded to restore, maintain and operate the Onderdonk House as a historic site and museum.

Additionally, the GRHS will be selling raffles for a handmade quilt that will be drawn at their St. Nicholas Day celebration on Dec. 2. The quilt was donated by Eileen Baxter of Woodside, who has been quilting for over 15 years and is a member of the Quilting Guild of Brooklyn.

Proceeds from the raffle will be used for the Onderdonk House’s “Raise the Roof” fund, which will pay for the restoration of the landmark’s roof.

Admission to this event is $3 each for adults and $1 each for children from four to 12 years of age; children under four are free.

For more information on this and other programs conducted by the GRHS, call 1-718-456-1776 or visit www.onderdonkhouse.org.

The Onderdonk House can be reached by bus via the Q54 route, which runs along Metropolitan Avenue two blocks away, and the B57 bus on Flushing Avenue, which passes the house. Visitors may also take the L line to Jefferson Street, then walk five blocks east on Flushing Avenue to the Onderdonk House.

On-street parking is available, plentiful and free.

The Strawberry Festival is funded in part from public service grants provided by the city’s Department of Cultural Affairs and supported by City Council Members Elizabeth Crowley and Diana Reyna and GRHS members.

More from Around New York