Quantcast

Comrie drops out of Queens beep race

By Joe Anuta

City Councilman Leroy Comrie (D-St. Albans) dropped out of the borough president race Saturday, his campaign said.

“Today I am announcing that I will not continue my campaign for Queens borough president,” he said in a statement. “After careful consideration, my family and I believe, due to personal matters, this is the best course of action.”

The lawmaker’s announcement narrows the Democratic field to state Sen. Tony Avella (D-Bayside), former Assemblywoman Melinda Katz and City Councilman Peter Vallone Jr. (D-Astoria). Astoria businessman Tony Arcabascio is running on the Republican ticket.

“I am looking forward to serving the people of Queens — in one capacity or another — for a long time to come,” Comrie said. “I want to thank the many supporters who expressed to me their belief that I could be a great borough president, and I cannot express my gratitude enough for the efforts they have made on my behalf.”

Comrie had just relaunched his campaign Jun. 3 in front of a crowd gathered on the steps of Queens Borough Hall.

“I am running because I have a burning desire to be the next borough president of Queens,” he said last month at the news conference.

But the leader of the Queens City Council delegation had been trailing in fund-raising. The latest report on his account from the city Campaign Finance Board was not available as of Saturday, but the numbers from May showed he had the least amount of cash left in his coffers out of the four Democratic competitors.

At the June relaunch, Comrie addressed his warchest, and said he hoped 1,000 people would give him $20.

“People have been promising me money. Now is the time to give,” he said at the time.

Reach reporter Joe Anuta by e-mail at januta@cnglocal.com or by phone at 718-260-4566.

More from Around New York