Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone
Photo via Google Maps
Photo via Google Maps
Kissena Corridor Park at the corner of Main Street and 56th Avenue in Flushing.

UPDATED July 24, 9:35 a.m.

Police have taken a 30-year-old man into custody for allegedly sexually assaulting two women at knifepoint on back-to-back evenings inside of Flushing‘s Kissena Corridor Park this week.

Law enforcement agents identified him as Charles Tobin, 29, of Kissena Boulevard in Flushing. He faces first-degree charges of rape, robbery and criminal sexual act, as well as criminal possession of a weapon.

The NYPD initially reported on July 20 that the suspect attacked a 17-year-old girl as she was walking through the park on July 19. Upon further investigation, however, police learned that a second victim — a 32-year-old woman — was similarly assaulted the night before, July 18.

Regarding the July 18 incident, police said that the victim was walking through Kissena Corridor Park at about 11 p.m. when she was allegedly approached by Tobin, who displayed a knife and demanded money. After the woman removed $50 in cash from her pocketbook and handed it to him, authorities said, the suspect then led the victim into a secluded area, where he forced her to perform a sex act, then raped her.

After the assault ended, authorities said, Tobin allegedly left the park in an unknown direction. The woman went on her own to Bellevue Hospital for treatment of her injuries, and the incident was reported to the 109th Precinct.

The following evening, law enforcement sources said, Tobin allegedly confronted the 17-year-old victim as she walked through the park in the area of Main Street and 56th Avenue at 10:30 p.m. He displayed a knife, then led the victim to a wooded area of the park, where he forced her to perform an undisclosed sexual act on him. Moments later, he fled the scene on a pedestrian path to parts unknown.

Authorities said the victim went to a local hospital for treatment, and the sexual assault was reported to police.

During his arraignment hearing on Saturday morning, July 22, Tobin was ordered held without bail, according to Queens District Attorney Richard A. Brown. The suspect is due back in court on Aug. 4; if convicted of the charges, he faces up to 50 years to life in prison.

Comments:

Join The Discussion



Related Stories
Victims of five-alarm Elmhurst apartment house fire are eligible for federal disaster loans
Victims of five-alarm Elmhurst apartment house fire are eligible for federal disaster loans
Scores of Elmhurst residents left homeless, 11 firefighters injured after five-alarm inferno
Scores of Elmhurst residents left homeless, 11 firefighters injured after five-alarm inferno
Popular Stories
Photo via Wikimedia Commons/Jim Henderson
Do you live in one of the nine Queens neighborhoods that rank among the city's priciest?
Photo courtesy of Shutterstock
Queens home foreclosures are up double digits since last year, mirroring citywide trend
Photo via Facebook/HarleenKaurGrewal
25-year-old Astoria woman burned to death in flaming car after crash in Brooklyn


Skip to toolbar