Police Blotter: Three-alarm fire breaks out in Hunters Point factory

By The TimesLedger

HUNTERS POINT — A three-alarm fire broke out in a factory being cleaned for asbestos on July 3, fire officials said.

The fire began at about 1 p.m. in one of the smokestacks of the former Schwartz Chemical Company plant at 50-09 2nd St., said Jennifer Pass, a spokeswoman for the FDNY.

Dozens of fire trucks rushed to the scene, including Hazmat and Decontamination units.

The fire spread to the brick area of the building, causing a second and third alarm, emergency workers at the scene said.

Battling the fire in one of the hottest days of the year, the department called in extra firefighters.

The fire was brought under control at 4:11 p.m., Pass said.

About 15 asbestos workers were in the factory when the fire broke out, and all were evacuated without injury, officials at the scene said.

One firefighter was treated for heat exhaustion, Pass said.

Man shot in Jamaica after dispute with group

JAMAICA — A man was shot once in the leg late last Thursday night after he became involved in a dispute with several other men at 148th Street and Jamaica Avenue, police said.

The suspects fled and the man, 21, was taken to Mary Immaculate Hospital in Jamaica where he was listed in stable condition, police said. Officers were continuing the investigation.

Corona man dies jumping in front of E train in Jamaica

JAMAICA — A Corona man was killed when he jumped in front of an oncoming subway train July 3 at the Jamaica and Van Wyck Expressway station, police said.

The man, 47, jumped in front of an E train at 1:30 p.m. in Jamaica and was pronounced dead at the scene, police said.

Man arrested after allegedly shooting roommate in Corona

CORONA — A man was arrested after he allegedly shot his roommate in the abdomen and the shoulder during an argument at 79-11 41st Ave. July 3, police said.

Phillip Potenza, 59, was arrested on charges of assault and criminal possession of a weapon, police said. His roommate was taken to Elmhurst General Hospital in stable condition, police said.

Far Rock man arrested after allegedly hitting woman, child

FAR ROCKAWAY — Officers arrested a man after he allegedly struck an infant and a woman during a dispute at a Far Rockaway residence last week.

Terrance Crawford, 28, allegedly struck Tiaise Breland, 23, and a 6-week-old girl at an apartment at 82-03 Beach Channel Dr. Saturday at about 10 p.m., police said.

Breland also was arrested on the charge of endangering the welfare of a child, police said.

Woodhaven man hospitalized after attempted hanging

WOODHAVEN — A man found hanging unconscious July 4 in his residence on 78th Street regained consciousness after his father cut him down from the basement ceiling, then ran away when the father went to call 911, police said.

The victim fled to Rockaway Boulevard and Atlantic Avenue, where police discovered him about an hour later and called the paramedics. He was taken to Jamaica Hospital and his condition was not known.

Man found dead in East Elmhurst

EAST ELMHURST — A dead man was discovered at 25-18 100th St. early on July 4, police said.

There were no signs of trauma to the body of William Powell, 27, and the medical examiner was to determine the cause of death, police said.

Cash, merchandise taken from Woodhaven supermarket

WOODHAVEN — A Woodhaven supermarket was robbed of $47,000 in cash and merchandise early in the morning July 1, police said.

Unknown persons cut the lock of a roll-down gate at C-Town Supermarket at 74-39 Jamaica Ave. and took $32,000 in cash from a safe and $15,000 worth of cigarettes, police said. No arrests were made and the investigation was continuing, police said.

Robbery suspect recaptured after escaping from hospital

JACKSON HEIGHTS — A teenage girl who allegedly fled Elmhurst General Hospital after police forced her to get treatment for a heroin addiction was caught the next day in front of 37-41 81st St., police said.

Jennifer Marin, 16, was originally arrested for allegedly robbing Zarkous Jewelry Store at 37-61 89th St. on July 2 with three male suspects. She slipped through handcuffs at the hospital, police said.

Officers arrested all four suspects after the robbery.

Avella, police commissioner meet to discuss new Queens precinct

BAYSIDE — City Councilman Tony Avella (D-Bayside) recently met with Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly to discuss creating a new northeast Queens police precinct.

Given the chronic understaffing of both the 109th Precinct in Flushing and Bayside’s 111th Precinct, increasing police presence in northeast Queens has been a longstanding issue among civic leaders.

The idea of creating a new precinct in northeast Queens, one that would specifically serve College Point, Malba, Whitestone, Clearview Gardens and Bay Terrace, was a campaign goal of Avella’s when he was running for his city council seat last year.

“The creation of this new precinct would improve response time and police visibility, which is a major concern for the residents of both precincts,” Avella said.

Avella also requested that more officers be assigned to both precincts.

Woman’s body found in burning van in Flushing

FLUSHING — Police were seeking clues to the identity of a woman whose body was found inside a burning minivan early Friday.

At about 1:20 a.m. firefighters and police responded to a call that a vehicle was on fire at Higgins Street and 32nd Avenue.

The woman was 5-feet-1-inch tall, about 112 pounds, between the ages of 20 and 40 and of unknown race, said Detective Michael Heffernan of the 109th Precinct.

Anyone with any information about the woman’s identity should call the 109th Precinct at 321-2294.

More from Around New York