Crime abound in the borough during Memorial Day Weekend

By Madina Toure

A series of shootings, a fatal collision and a subway suicide marred the Memorial Day weekend in Queens, but as of mid-week no arrests had been made in the criminal cases.

At 11:10 p.m. Sunday, a 21-year-old was shot in the chest and a 27-year-old was shot in his right calf at 91-66 110th St. in Richmond Hill, according to the police.

Witnesses said there was a dispute and a man dressed in black fired two shots and fled northbound and that as he was fleeing, additional gunshots could be heard, police said.

The 21-year-old man was in critical condition but stable condition, while the other victim was in stable condition, a police spokesman said.

At about 10:40 p.m., police received numerous 911 calls about shots fired at a large block party at 154-02 118th Ave. in Jamaica, according to the police.

A 29-year-old woman, a 33-year-old woman and a 36-year-old man were shot during the party, police said.

The victims were taken to Jamaica Hospital by EMS and the detectives were interviewing them, police continued.

The 29-year-old woman observed a light-skinned man wearing a white T-shirt and jeans coming from 155th Street and shooting with a black pistol, officials said.

Police said she ran to try to escape the gunfire but ended up receiving a graze wound to the right buttocks.

Three unoccupied vehicles were also struck by the gunfire, officials said.

The police spokesman said the 36-year-old man had a graze wound to the lower back and was in stable condition while the 33-year-old woman had a gunshot wound to her left upper thigh and was in stable condition.

The spokesman added that the 29-year-old woman was also in stable condition and that no arrests had been made by late Wednesday.

Just 53 minutes earlier, another shooting occurred in Jamaica Houses at 89-00 Van Wyck Expressway, police said.

At 9:55 p.m., a man was taken into surgery to be treated for a gunshot wound that entered his lower right back, police continued.

The police spokesman said the victim was in stable condition, but uncooperative with police and giving multiple inconsistent statements.

At 2:17 p.m., officers responded to an accident in the area of 34th Avenue and 91st Street.

A 2005 Toyota Corolla, driven by an 86-year-old man with Jackson Heights resident Amy Huang, 83, the front passenger, was traveling westbound on 34th Avenue approaching the intersection of 91st Street when it struck an unoccupied 2016 Chevrolet parked on the north side of the roadway, police said.

The collision forced the Chevrolet onto the sidewalk where it then collided with scaffolding before coming to a rest.

The driver was treated for lacerations to his arm and Huang was pronounced dead at 4:28 p.m. after sustaining serious head and body trauma, police said.

Police said the first vehicle had the green light.

No arrests were made and no summonses were issued, according to the police spokesman.

At about 2:05 a.m., an unidentified man jumped in between train cars from a moving southbound F train approximately 400 feet from the Sutphin Boulevard station heading toward the Briarwood station and was pronounced dead at the scene, according to the police spokesman.

On Saturday, a motorcyclist allegedly opened fire on a car driven by his ex-girlfriend’s boyfriend while the ex-girlfriend and her 18-month-old baby were inside the car, police said.

At about 10:55 p.m., officers responded to a call of a man shot on the eastbound Long Island Expressway in the vicinity of Exit 21, police continued.

They found a 25-year-old man with three gunshot wounds to his left arm and he was taken to New York Presbyterian Queens in stable condition, officials said.

The man, along with his girlfriend, a 25-year-old woman and her 18-month-old baby, were approached by the woman’s ex-boyfriend at 37th Avenue in Jackson Heights, police said.

Her ex-boyfriend verbally threatened her boyfriend, prompting them to leave, police continued.

Officials said he then followed them on a motorcycle when they got onto the Long Island Expressway.

He allegedly fired at her boyfriend’s vehicle with a .40 caliber firearm, which then struck the motorcycle, the police added.

The motorcycle was recovered but the firearm was not recovered and no one was in custody, they said.

Reach reporter Madina Toure by e-mail at mtoure@cnglocal.com or by phone at (718) 260–4566.

More from Around New York