NYC Parks’ GreenThumb is continuing their 40th anniversary celebrations with the first-ever Open Garden Day this weekend.
In all, 14 Queens gardens will participate in Open Garden Day, during which over 70 community gardens around the city will open their doors to the public and host free activities. The family-friendly activities include herbal medicine workshops, DIY terrarium classes, yoga and barbecues.
Here is a list of all the community gardens in Queens that will be opened this Saturday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Corona Taxpayers Association – Corona
- Discovery Community Garden 2 – Jamaica
- Dunton and Civic Association Community Garden – Jamaica
- Evergreen Community Garden – Queensboro Hill
- Long Island City Community Garden – Long Island City
- Malcolm X Garden – North Corona
- Merrick-Marsden Neighborhood Association Garden – Jamaica
- Phoenix Gate Community Garden – Jamaica
- Rockaway Youth Task Force Garden – Arverne
- Seagirt Boulevard Community Garden – Edgemere
- Smiling Hogshead Ranch – Hunters Point
- Trees of Life Organic Garden – Jamaica
- Two Coves Community Garden – Astoria
GreenThumb encourages all who attend Open Garden Day to share their experience on social media. Use the hashtag #OpenGardensDayNYC and tag @greenthumbgrows on Instagram and Twitter or @GreenThumbNYC on Facebook. All the posts will be shared on all platforms, with credit, throughout the summer.
For a full list of the community gardens in the five boroughs that are participating, and also for a description of the activities happening at each location, click here. Visit the GreenThumb website to learn more about the organization’s 40th anniversary.