Gunman who opened fire outside Richmond Hill nightclub in 2018 sentenced to more than a decade in prison: Feds

Brooklyn gunman sentenced for shooting at Richmond Hill nightclub
A Brooklyn man was sentenced in Brooklyn federal court in connection to a 2018 shooting incident where he opened fire on a crowd outside a Richmond Hill nightclub after a failed attempt at killing a rival gang member. (QNS/File)

A gang member from Brooklyn, who opened fire on a crowd outside a Richmond Hill nightclub in 2018, was sentenced to 11 years in prison for two counts of being a felon in possession of a firearm, according to federal prosecutors.

Danari Aiken, 29, of East New York, a member of the Mac Baller Brims Bloods street gang, as well as the “Free Nothing” street gang based in the Lincoln Towers development in East New York, was sentenced by U.S. District Judge Pamela K. Chen in Brooklyn federal court for using a handgun in the shooting incident at the Rose Lounge. He attempted to murder a rival gang member and ended up firing at random into a crowd outside the club, wounding five bystanders, according to court filings.

The second count related to an incident where Aiken possessed a firearm while fleeing police from a traffic stop. In December 2021, Aiken pleaded guilty to both counts. He was previously convicted in 2015 of possessing a loaded firearm.

“The defendant, who has previously been convicted of a felony crime, armed himself on multiple occasions, and one night, used that deadly weapon to endanger and wound many in his line of fire,” U.S. Attorney Breon Peace said. “Thankfully, in this case, the victims suffered non-fatal injuries.”

On the night of Dec. 7, 2018, Aiken went to the Rose Lounge nightclub located at 89-25 130th St. where he flashed gang signs before attempting to shoot his rival at point blank range, according to court filings. When his target returned fire, Aiken took off running but continued firing into the crowd, wounding five. The NYPD recovered the firearm and ammunition used by Aiken at the crime scene.

On Nov. 12, 2020, Aiken led NYPD officers on a high-speed chase in Brooklyn when they attempted to stop the vehicle he was driving for disobeying a traffic device. After smashing into a garbage truck and nearly striking several pedestrians, Aiken was apprehended when his path was blocked by a parked fire truck. The NYPD recovered a firearm in the vehicle which was later found to have Aiken’s DNA on it.

“Gun violence and mass shootings are a menace that this office and our law enforcement partners are working tirelessly to stop by taking firearms out of the hands of violent individuals like the defendant, who learned today there are serious federal consequences for his actions,” Peace said.

More from Around New York