Philadelphia man arraigned on animal cruelty charges after cops from 104th Precinct find starving dog, puppies

A Philadelphia man was arraigned in Queens Criminal Court Thursday on animal cruelty charges. (NYPD)

A Pennsylvania man was officially charged with animal cruelty on Jan. 5 after a traffic stop in Rego Park led to the discovery of a starving dog and her seven puppies inside the vehicle, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.

Ravon Service, 27, of Ashton Road in Philadelphia, was arraigned before Queens Criminal Court Judge Marty Lenz on eight counts of failing to provide food and drink to an impounded animal; eight counts of overdriving, torturing and injuring animals/failure to provide sustenance; seven counts of carrying animals in a cruel manner; and several traffic violations.

According to the charges, on the afternoon of Nov. 26, Service was pulled over by police from the 104th Precinct on Woodhaven Boulevard near the intersection with Furmanville Avenue for having a loud engine exhaust on the 2001 Lexus he was driving. Officer Kristen Candelaria and her partner Steven Sheehan observed a large dog in the back seat of the vehicle.

Police Officer Kristen Candelaria and her partner Steven Sheehan rescued a Great Dane and her seven puppies during a routine traffic stop in Rego Park. (Photo courtesy of NYPD)

The Great Dane appeared emaciated, showing protruding bones on her ribs, hips and back area. Candelaria and Sheehan then discovered a closed plastic bin on the backseat that contained seven of her puppies, which they rescued from the container that did not provide adequate air supply or food and water.

(Photo courtesy of NYPD)

The starving animals were taken to an area veterinary hospital where the mother was treated for malnourishment and her seven puppies were treated for diarrhea symptoms.

“Thankfully, these voiceless, defenseless victims have been rescued from their miserable circumstances,” Katz said. “Animal cruelty is unacceptable and illegal and we will hold abusers accountable.”

Judge Lentz ordered Service to return to court on Feb. 10. If convicted, he faces up to two years in prison.