Carbon monoxide leak in Woodhaven sends 10 people to the hospital

Gmaps carbon monoxide
A carbon monoxide leak in Woodhaven led to 10 people being sent to the hospital on Monday, Feb. 5.
Photo courtesy Google Maps

A carbon monoxide leak at a residence in Woodhaven sent 10 people to the hospital on Monday, Feb. 5, according to the FDNY.

Emergency units rushed to 88-03 91 Ave. after receiving a call about a carbon monoxide poisoning shortly after 9 a.m. officials said. First responders closed off the block between 89th Street and 88th Street to investigate upon arrival.

EMS transported the 10 people inside the home to Nassau County Medical Center in an unknown condition, according to the FDNY. Officials could not confirm the latest condition of the victims.

Emergency units notified National Grid and the Department of Buildings about the incident and the carbon monoxide leak was handled by units on the scene, the FDNY said.

The incident highlighted the dangers of carbon monoxide, which is an odorless and highly toxic gas. The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headaches, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain and confusion, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The CDC also states CO symptoms are often described as “flu-like” and can be deadly. Every year, the CDC estimates at least 420 people die in the U.S. from accidental CO poisoning and more than 100,000 people are sent to the hospital.

In the case of a carbon monoxide leak, emergency responders advise people to open their windows, leave their homes, get to fresh air immediately, and call 911. Carbon monoxide detectors are readily available for purchase online and in stores like pharmacies and home improvement stores.

According to the New York City Department of Housing and Preservation, New York City law requires the installation and maintenance of smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors.