Three-alarm house fire in Maspeth deemed accidental, Red Cross assisting nine displaced families

house fire
A Maspeth mother and her two children were briefly trapped inside their home before FDNY firefighters rescued them on Monday morning.
Photo by Lloyd Mitchell

FDNY fire marshals have determined that the cause of a three-alarm house fire in Maspeth on Monday was accidental, sparked by faulty electrical wiring.

A mother and her two children were briefly trapped inside the home at 62-53 60th Rd. after the fire broke out in the rear of the ground floor just before noon.

FDNY firefighters responded to the scene within four minutes of receiving the call and rescued the mother and kids. They were transported by EMS to Elmhurst Hospital where they were treated and released.

Four other people were injured including two firefighters with non-life-threatening injuries, according to the FDNY.

The three-alarm house fire in Maspeth on Monday was determined to be sparked by electrical wiring, according to FDNY fire marshals. Photo by Lloyd Mitchell

The fire was brought under control at 1:38 p.m. but not before spreading to an adjoining home. Inspectors from the Department of Buildings determined that the two-story building sustained major fire damage and that the neighboring building at 62-55 60th Road also sustained significant fire damage which resulted in Full Vacate Orders for both buildings.

DOB ordered the building owners to seal the buildings with a construction fence and to hire a professional engineer to inspect the buildings and submit a report to the DOB on the building’s structural stability. DOB inspectors issued violations to both buildings for illegal basement apartments.

Con Edison cut services to both buildings. In all, nine families were living in the homes, including 20 adults and 8 children, who were registered with the American Red Cross for emergency assistance, including temporary housing and financial assistance. The American Red Cross Greater New York Disaster Action Team also provided care items, including blankets and hand warmers, to affected residents.

Any resident impacted by the fire who were not able to connect with the Red Cross on scene and who needs assistance with the recovery process should call 877-RED CROSS (877-733-2767) to be connected with a responder.

Esperanza de Vida, a community church on 69th Street in Maspeth, issued a “Call for Compassion” to help the families who were displaced as they face “the daunting task of rebuilding their lives from scratch” and may become homeless after the temporary shelter they were provided by the Red Cross expires. The church organized a GoFundMe page to provide the “neighbors in need” with the resources they need to get back on their feet.

Photo courtesy of the FDNY