LaGuardia, JFK reopen after blizzard

After a Christmas vacation in New York City with her daughters, Claire Palmer found herself stuck in Delta Airlines Terminal D at LaGuardiaAirport.

“It was fun,” said Palmer, 52. “Until we got stranded.”

Palmer had been in the airport since 8 a.m. on Sunday, December 26, with her flight supposed to leave at 10:30 a.m. After the blizzard hit, she was scheduled to board a flight for Sarasota, Florida on Monday night, December 27. But that didn’t happen either.

Palmer said she would be staying in a hotel in Times Square in Manhattan.

As of Tuesday, December 28, there were approximately 500 cancelled flights at both Kennedy International Airport and LaGuardia Airport, according to a Port Authority of New York & New Jersey spokesperson. Planes have been arriving and departing with heavy delays.

“It’s not so bad,” said Palmer. “I mean, it happens.”

Palmer had accommodations arranged at a hotel, however, others had set up camp at the airport, unsure of their next destination.

Tian, who preferred his first name not be used, was visiting relatives in China and was headed back to his home in Washington, D.C. New York City was simply his connecting point, but now, he would be spending at least one night here.

“Nobody can control the weather,” said Tian. “I have no choice… I have to wait here.”

Carol Sadousky and Clyde Ziegler from Cadillac, Michigan, had their Sunday morning flight cancelled and were scrambling to find a hotel for the evening. Sadousky said they had been staying in downtown Manhattan for five days for the holidays, having seen several plays.

“We’re just waiting around for another plane, now they’re not going to have another plane,” said Sadousky. “So it’s just been a hassle all day.”

They expected their flight would be leaving Monday night as well, but no such luck.

For flight status, one should contact their airline. For updates on these airports and delay information, visit www.fly.faa.gov.

More from Around New York