A Queens teenager faces charges of making terroristic threats for causing the “hoax” that led to last week’s lockdown at Forest Hills High School.
Ishrak Hossain, 16, was ordered held on $10,000 bond or $5,000 cash bail following his March 16 arraignment in Queens Criminal Court, according to records. He is due for another hearing on March 28.
Students and teachers at Forest Hills High School found themselves in a “precautionary” lockdown for several hours on Thursday after a reported shooting threat, police reported.
Police received a call about the threat at about 11 a.m. on March 15. According to law enforcement sources, a student found a note scribbled on a desk indicating that another student had a gun.
Officers from the 112th Precinct and other NYPD units responded to the school located at 67-01 110th St.
“Soft lockdown at Forest Hills High School. Everything is alright, it’s just precautionary, kids and teachers all ok,” tweeted Deputy Inspector Robert Ramos, commander of the 112th Precinct.
Ramos later tweeted that the “individual responsible for today’s hoax is in custody.”
As the lockdown went on, parents and loved ones of Forest Hills students — and even some of the pupils themselves — took to social media to share their concerns.
My old high school is currently on lockdown due to shooter threats, in Forest Hills, Queens NY. Our country is in a crisis on multiple levels at this point! https://t.co/FaUSTfhlsd
— Natalie Shmuel (@PersiaNataS) March 15, 2018
My brother has been in a lockout for 2 hours cause there’s a supposed shooter in Forest Hills high school. This crap has to stop. Students and their families should not be worrying about their safeties at schools
— Miguel. (@LavishlifeMel) March 15, 2018
There was a shooting threat today March 15, 2018 in Forest Hills High School a day after the school walkout. We were put in lock down for hours while swat and police investigated
— Ivan Guan (@IvanGuan3) March 15, 2018
Police sources said the lockdown ended just before 1 p.m., and students were released from where they were being held. There was no immediate word on whether anyone was taken into custody, but police said the investigation is ongoing.
“The safety of students and staff is our top priority, and this serious threat was immediately reported to the NYPD who conducted a thorough investigation and determined it to be unfounded,” a Department of Education spokesperson told QNS in a statement received at 2:27 p.m. “The temporary soft lockdown has been lifted and normal dismissal procedures will be followed.”
The lockdown occurred a day after thousands of students in Queens and across the country held a walkout in protest of gun violence on the one-month anniversary of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting in Parkland, Florida.
This is a developing story; check back later for further details.
This story was updated on March 20 at 4:30 p.m.