In honor of the 20th anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks, Queens College will continue its annual commemoration with a campus ceremony. This year, it will include the reading of the names of 40 college alumni, faculty and other community members who lost their lives that day.
The outdoor ceremony will take place on Friday, Sept. 10, at 8:30 a.m. next to the school’s Benjamin S. Rosenthal Library or in the Godwin-Ternbach Museum in case of inclement weather. It will be hosted by QC President Frank H. Wu, school administrators and invited guests.
QC will also honor its responding FDNY Engine House 315/Ladder 25 for its service to the school.
Students, alumni and faculty from the college’s Aaron Copland School of Music will perform “America the Beautiful” and “Fanfare for the Common Man.” Bells in the library’s Chaney-Goodman-Schwerner Clocktower will toll at 8:46 a.m. and 9:03 a.m. to mark when the towers were struck and at 9:59 a.m. and 10:28 a.m. when they collapsed.
Since 2002, the college has held an annual campus ceremony to commemorate those who lost their lives in the attacks.
To better commemorate the 20th anniversary, the school also created “Remember This: A 9/11 20-Year Anniversary Memorial” at the Godwin-Ternback Museum. The exhibition features six oversized images that were part of the design proposal for Tribute in Light, which involved two beams of light projected into the sky near Ground Zero. Visitors can come see the memorial from now through Friday, Dec. 17.
During COVID-19, all visitors must be approved prior to accessing the campus. Visit qc.cuny.edu to learn more.
See the full list of Queens College community members who died on Sept. 11.
- Marie Rose Abad ‘74 Sociology
- Christy A. Addamo ‘94 Accounting (employee of Marsh & McLennan)
- Guy Barzvi ‘98 Accounting
- Dominick Berardi (alumnus; employee of Cantor Fitzgerald)
- Joseph J. Berry ‘69 Math & Economics
- Alan Bondarenko (brother of retired employee Marilyn Burgmaier, Human Resources)
- Alexander Braginsky ‘87 Accounting
- Delrose E. Forbes Cheatham ‘00 Accounting
- David DeFeo ‘90 Psychology (son of retired employee Louise DeFeo, Human Resources)
- William J. Dimmling ‘76 Accounting and Economics, summa cum laude
- Donald Foreman (alumnus)
- Thomas Gardner ‘95 Biology
- Matthew Garvey ‘99 History
- Steven A. Giorgetti ‘80 Accounting (Senior Vice President with Marsh & McLennan)
- Mohammad S. Hamdani ‘01 Chemistry
- Daniel E. Harlin (alumnus; member of Ladder Co. #2 midtown Manhattan)
- Milagros Hromada (daughter-in-law of retired College Assistant Dolores Hromada; employee of the Aon Corporation)
- Louis Steven Inghilterra ‘81 Accounting
- Stephanie Irby ‘92 Accounting
- Luis Jimenez, Jr. ‘98 Accounting
- Hyun Joon Lee (Paul) Lee (alum; accounting major).
- Ralph Licciardi (cousin of retired employee Mario Caruso, Graduate Admissions)
- Joseph Lostrangio ‘75 Communications
- Gary Lutnick (son of deceased Queens College Professor Solomon Lutnick)
- Patrick Lyons ‘84 Media Studies
- Eskedar Melaku ‘92 Accounting (Assistant Vice President with Marsh & McLennan)
- Sharon C. Millan
- Ronald K. Milstein ‘72 English
- Nancy Morgenstern ‘90 Communications Arts & Sciences (employee of Cantor Fitzgerald)
- Laurence Nedell (alumnus)
- Gye Hyong Park (alum)
- Michael R. Richards ‘85 Art Studio
- Christopher A. Santora ‘00 History
- Michael Seaman (husband of Queens College alumna Dara Seaman)
- Lonny Stone ’82 BA, Communication, Arts & Sciences
- Paul Talty ‘92 Sociology (husband of Queens College alumna and former employee Barbara Talty)
- Lawrence Virgilio ‘87 American Studies
- Gabriela Waisman ‘93 Psychology
- Michael H. Waye
- Oleh D. Wengerchuk ‘77 Art
This story was updated on Tuesday, Sept. 7 at 1:30 p.m.