It has been several months since Superstorm Sandy. Queens Library has been working hard to help the community rebuild while continuing to provide the educational and informational support patrons value.
We will be here for homework help, job skills training, education for adults and children, ESOL classes and the best in entertainment while repairs are being made.
I want to update you on the status of rebuilding the storm-damaged libraries. We have come a long way and expect to be see all the waterfront community libraries as good as new soon:
• Queens Library at Seaside, at 116-15 Rockaway Beach Blvd. in Rockaway Park, is in active construction. We expect it to reopen by October.
• Queens Library at Arverne, at 312 Beach 54th St., will be under construction shortly. Reopening is expected by December. In the meantime, a temporary library is serving the community. They are doing amazing things in a small space, with programs, classes, job search help, homework assistance and more. Thanks to supplementary funding from Bank of America, it is open seven days a week through the end of 2013.
• Queens Library at Peninsula, at 92-25 Rockaway Beach Blvd. in Rockaway Park, will require extensive rebuilding. The city Department of Design and Construction will be doing the work. The fully-repaired library is expected to reopen at the end of 2014.
In the interim, there is a modular building for lending materials and computer access. A second, mobile library is going to be installed for programs and workshops. That should be on site this summer.
When construction is complete, Rockaway Park will have a completely renovated and re-decorated library with a new collection of books, videos and other materials.
• Queens Library at Broad Channel, at 16-26 Cross Bay Blvd., reopened this past winter. “Wider-fi” is providing wireless Internet service within a few blocks of the library to better serve the community.
• Queens Library at Howard Beach, at 92-06 156th Ave., has been operating at full strength since shortly after the storm. New flooring was recently installed.
We look forward toward a bright future together as a community.