Man’s leg amputated after Flushing motorcycle hit-and-run

By Madina Toure

A 77-year-old man had his leg amputated after he was struck by a motorcycle and the driver fled the scene in Flushing, according to Queens district attorney.

At about 6 a.m. last Friday, police received a report that a man identified by Queens DA Richard Brown as Min Tsu Lin had been hit by a blue motorcycle allegedly driven by Flushing resident Richard Tudor, 40. Lin was crossing Rose Avenue from south to north at Parsons Boulevard when he was struck, according to a police spokesman.

Tudor allegedly fled the scene on foot, leaving the keys in the ignition and his helmet behind, police said. He was arrested at about 6:08 p.m. the same day and was charged with leaving the scene of an accident with a person sustaining a serious injury, according to the criminal complaint filed by the DA.

Lin had internal bleeding and was taken to New York Hospital Queens, where he remained early in the week, the DA said.

A doctor at New York Hospital Queens said Lin had to have his leg amputated. He also had to be intubated and is being treated for internal injuries and severe rib fractures.

The complaint said a 109th Precinct officer found Lin lying face up near a tree on the sidewalk at the intersection of Rose Avenue and Parsons Boulevard.

Lin was bleeding and a 2006 Kawasaki motorcycle with keys in the ignition was lying on the ground, as well as a full-face blue-and-white Arai brand DOT motorcycle helmet near the motorcycle, the complaint said.

Tudor was not at the scene when the officer found Lin , the document said.

He made a 911 call at about 2 p.m. to report an accident because his motorcycle was missing, saying that he went to drop off his car at his father’s house at about 6 a.m. and pick up his motorcycle to ride to his girlfriend’s house.

Tudor said he only remembered getting on the Long Island Expressway and that he woke up at his girlfriend’s house after 1 p.m. and could hardly move because he was in a lot of pain, the complaint added.

The doctor at NewYork-Presbyterian/Queens said Tudor had a clavicle fracture but did not have signs of head trauma or altered mental status, the complaint said.

The borough was the scene of another accident over the weekend. On Saturday, a 26-year-old man was taken to Jamaica Hospital with severe head trauma after he was struck by a car in the northbound lane of the Van Wyck Expressway, the police spokesman said.

His vehicle became disabled on the expressway, partially in the left lane and partially in the center lane when he collided with a car, according to the spokesman.

He got out of his vehicle to assess the damage when he was struck by a second car, a 2002 Acura whose driver was unable to avoid hitting the victim, the spokesman said.

The victim was thrown onto the hood and struck the windshield before landing in the roadway, the spokesman added.

The spokesman could not confirm whether the drivers of the other two cars had left the scene.

Reach reporter Madina Toure by e-mail at mtour[email protected]local.com or by phone at (718) 260–4566.

More from Around New York