Photo by Jenna Bagcal/QNS
Attendees at the Dec. 18 shelter town hall with DHS.

The Department of Homeless Services (DHS) faced the wrath of College Point residents at a town hall meeting on Monday night that left the capacity crowd with more questions than answers about the planned opening of a homeless shelter.

Hundreds of residents filled the auditorium at P.S. 29 on Dec. 18 to hear information about the impending single-men’s shelter at 127-03 20th Ave. Dozens more people — who could not get into the ticketed event once the venue reached capacity — waited outside in the frigid December air guarded by local police officers.

DHS representatives were joined by nonprofit homeless services provider Westhab for the town hall. Much of the information, including the number of beds and shelter security, had already been shared by DHS First Deputy Commissioner Jackie Bray at the College Point Civic Association meeting weeks before.

Protesters, which included College Point residents as well as neighbors in Whitestone, Flushing and Bayside were asked to sign up to ask questions. But responses from DHS and Westhab elicited “boos” and jeering from the crowd of irate residents.

“Those who are most vulnerable amongst us need somewhere to lay their head, they need somewhere to receive services, they need somewhere with people who are committed to their second chance,” Bray said.

College Point resident Denise Zayas shared that, as someone who is legally blind, she does not feel safe with a homeless shelter being put up in the community.

“Westhab isn’t answering 911 calls and I do not feel that you can keep us safe. So it’s not fear that you’re hearing, it’s anger at the fact that no one consulted us,” Zayas said.

“DHS has an incredibly tight relationship with the NYPD. Our security is managed and overseen by the NYPD,” said Bray, who added that the agency coordinates with local precincts and police officers for all of their shelters.

Community Board 7 Vice Chairperson Chuck Apelian questioned the legality of the shelter being built in a manufacturing district.

“You’re building this in a manufacturing district. It’s an M1 and in a manufacturing district, residential use is not allowed at all,” Apelian said.

“Transient use is allowed in an M1 zone. This is transient use,” Bray responded. “We have opened shelters for years in M1 zones and DOB [Department of Buildings] has approved them for years. What we’re doing is consistent with that.”

Others in attendance at Monday night’s town hall were Councilman Paul Vallone, Assemblyman Daniel Rosenthal and state Senator-elect John Liu — who, until yesterday, had been largely absent from shelter rallies and conversations.

The former New York City comptroller expressed concern with the economics involved in opening up the shelter after Bray shared that the entire shelter contract would cost approximately $9 million annually. This would include housing each shelter resident, services, maintenance, transportation and employee salaries.

“Somebody is making a lot of money off this deal,” said Liu. “People understand that there is a homeless crisis going on in this city, but you gotta do a better job. And you gotta think about how many more people you would have been able to serve with the $9 million if you had put it in a more efficient location and made sure that the deals were put together in the right format.”

Liu added, “You guys are here, sent by the mayor, to take the bullets for him. Well, you know what? We’re not blaming you personally, but the city has to be held accountable for this.”

Residents have been protesting against the shelter since October when Vallone confirmed that it would be coming to College Point.

Article corrected on Dec. 20 at 4:01 a.m. An earlier version of this story stated that “nearly 300 people” were at the town hall, but a resident said that the auditorium holds 500 people. Also, the address has been corrected to from 127-03 27th Ave. to 127-03 20th Ave. 

Comments:

Join The Discussion



Profile picture
Michele Kilcommons December 18, 2018 / 08:33PM
The majority of men that will be placed in this shelter HAD a warm bed and a full belly BEFORE they chose to become criminals... before they fell victim to the disease of addiction... before they burned every single bridge that could have helped them over the horrible reality of homelessness... if their loved ones have exhausted all of their resources, strength and hope for these individuals, then they need more than a bed and a bowl of soup to integrate back into society.. at this stage in their lives, they are a danger to society just as they would be to their own families would they continue to house them. The city has a terrible track record regulating programs once implemented... even if addiction services, counseling and job training are available and even IF they are a mandated requirement for being housed in the facility, there is a roll of red tape that could circle the moon to kick someone out once that is their assigned 'home'. If the individual doesn't take advantage of ALL services offered, they will still be a prisoner in one way or another.. and that's not for a residential area to take on... not in a town that already has its share of homeless, addicts and thugs.
Reply

Related Stories
Proposed 39-story Flushing tower may become the borough’s tallest building outside of LIC
Proposed 39-story Flushing tower may become the borough’s tallest building outside of LIC
Supermarket set to replace vacant Forest Hills Sizzler that closed down four years ago
Supermarket set to replace vacant Forest Hills Sizzler that closed down four years ago


Skip to toolbar