Jamaica man faces life in prison for a brutal assault that led to the victim’s death

Photo: Shutterstock

A Jamaica man has been found guilty of murder after viciously beating a Bangladeshi immigrant outside of a Hillside Avenue bar in September 2012. The victim died of his injuries two years later.

David Louime, 32, was convicted on May 9 of second-degree murder for a brutal assault that claimed the life of 51-year-old Isteak Quadir, Queens District Attorney Richard A. Brown announced.

According to trial testimony, at 12:40 a.m. on Sept. 13, 2012, Quadir was meeting with friends at the Hillside Inn, located at 168-02 Hillside Ave. in Jamaica. Two men, including Louime, approached Quadir and punched him in the face, causing Quadir to hit the ground and lose consciousness. Louime then began to repeatedly kick and stomp Quadir in the head while he was unconscious on the floor.

Quadir was rushed to the hospital and was deemed unresponsive due to a traumatic brain injury. He went into surgery to remove a piece of his skull to relieve brain swelling and go into a medically induced coma. When he woke up from the coma, Quadir was placed in a nursing home.

Quadir suffered permanent brain damage from his injuries and was left unable to speak, eat without a feeding tube or breathe without a ventilator. Quadir succumbed to his injuries in May 2014.

Louime was apprehended in March 2014 following a traffic stop for failing to signal while driving. After a 10-day trial, the jury deliberated for less than 3 hours before delivering a guilty verdict.

Sentencing is set to take place on June 14. Louime, who is being held without bail, faces 25 years to life in prison.

District Attorney Brown said, “The victim was punched in the face, causing him to fall and strike his head on the floor. The defendant then repeatedly kicked and stomped the victim as he lay motionless on the floor. The victim, who suffered severe brain damage as a result of the beating inflicted by the defendant, was left in a semi-vegetative state and died nearly two years later in a rehabilitative facility, where he depended on a tube to feed him and a ventilator to breathe. The defendant now faces the prospect of being locked away for the rest of his life.”

More from Around New York