QNS has received CB 5’s tentative street repaving list for 2017, which is subject to change, but contains 50 streets across the area that are planned to be resurfaced before the end of the year. CB 5 submitted a request to the Department of Transportation (DOT) of the streets they wanted to see resurfaced, then DOT conducts their own survey of the roadways and returns with a list of plausible groups of streets to be repaved.
“What DOT tries to do, and want us try to do when we are submitting things, is to group streets,” said Gary Giordano, district manager of CB 5. “It’s much more efficient if they can do a quadrant of streets in a neighborhood provided that resurfacing on those streets is needed. So they are not doing one street here, and then have to take their equipment across town.”
Some of the major streets that are on this list, Giordano pointed out, include Catalpa Avenue in Ridgewood, 69th Street in Maspeth, and 80th Street in Middle Village.
“One of the ones that really needs it is Catalpa [Avenue]. It is quite bumpy,” Giordano said. “Another priority request for us is 80th Street between Caldwell Avenue and what they are calling the Queens Midtown Expressway. I am very happy that is on the list. That is an important section of 80th Street. 69th Street from Caldwell [Avenue] to Queens Midtown Expressway, that’s important. That’s something that I have given them. A lot of the streets in Maspeth take a beating, so we are very often happy if we can get a good number of streets in Maspeth resurfaced. Obviously any of the roadways on here likely need to be resurfaced but a lot of them take more traffic than others.”
Resurfacing of New York City streets occurs in two steps. First, the top layer of asphalt needs to be removed through a process called milling. Then workers return to the road to install a new layer of asphalt, free of any cracks, potholes and erosion that may have been on the street prior. Finally, new street markings are painted shortly thereafter.
All of the planned work is scheduled to be daytime work.
The full tentative list of street resurfacings is as follows:
- Catalpa Avenue between Fresh Pond Road and Forest Avenue;
- Cornelia Street between Myrtle and Forest Avenue;
- Linden Street between Forest and Traffic Avenues;
- Palmetto Street between Fresh Pond Road and Traffic Avenue;
- Shaler Avenue between Cypress Hills Street and 65th Street;
- 60th Lane between Myrtle and 67th Avenues;
- 60th Place between Putnam and Metropolitan Avenues;
- 62nd Street between Cypress Hills Street and 68th Avenue;
- 64th Street between Madison Street and Traffic Avenue;
- 64th Place between Shaler and 68th Avenues;
- 64th Street between 68th and Shaler Avenues;
- 65th Place between Catalpa and 68th Avenues; and
- 65th Street between 68th Avenue and Otto Road.
- 67th Street between 70th and Myrtle Avenue;
- 68th Street between Myrtle and Cooper Avenues;
- 69th Place between Myrtle Avenue and Otto Road;
- 69th Place between Cooper Avenue and the dead end;
- 69th Street between Cooper Avenue and Luther Road;
- 70th Street between Cooper Avenue and the dead end;
- 72nd Street between Edsall and Central Avenues;
- 73rd Place between Central and Edsall Avenues; and
- Luther Road between 69th Street and 69th Place.
- 58th Road between 69th Lane and the Queens Midtown Expressway;
- 58th Road between the Queens Midtown Expressway and 74 Street;
- 59th Drive between 69th Street and 68th Street;
- 59th Road between 69th Street and 69th Place;
- 60th Road between Fresh Pond Road and 59th Place;
- 60th Road between 69th Street and 68th Street;
- 60th Avenue between 68th Street and 69th Street;
- 61st Street between 53rd Drive and 54th Avenue;
- 63rd Street between 64th Street and Borden Avenue;
- 63rd Place between 55th Avenue and 53rd Drive;
- 69th Street between Caldwell Avenue and the Queens Midtown Expressway;
- 80th Street between Caldwell Avenue and the Queens Midtown Expressway; and
- Claran Court between 65th Place and the dead end.
- 61st Road between 67th Street and 69th Place;
- 61st Road between Woodhaven Boulevard and Caldwell Avenue;
- 61st Drive between 68th Street and 67th Street;
- 62nd Avenue between 80th Street and Juniper Boulevard North;
- 62nd Road between 69th Street and 69th Place;
- 62nd Drive between 69th Place and 69th Street;
- 65th Place between Metropolitan and Admiral Avenues;
- 65th Lane between Admiral and Metropolitan Avenues;
- 67th Street between 61st Drive and Eliot Avenue;
- 68th Street between Eliot Avenue and 61st Drive;
- 84th Place between 61st Road and Dry Harbor Road;
- 85th Street between Dry Harbor Road and Eliot Avenue;
- 86th Street between 60th Avenue and the Queens Midtown Expressway;
- 85th Street between the Queens Midtown Expressway and 60th Road; and
- Queens Midtown Expressway and 58th Avenue between 85th and 86th Streets.